Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Moroccan Chickpea Salad

I recently started getting Clean Eating Magazine in the mail.  It's full of fantastic recipes and so far I've enjoyed everything that I've tried.  It's forcing me to get outside of the box with my eating, while being healthier at the same time.


I've never been a huge fan of whole chick peas.  I know that they're good for you but the texture throws me a little.  This salad made me think about changing my mind.

















Moroccan Chickpea Salad:
(Clean Eating Magazine, March 2011)
Serves 6          

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon sea salt and ground pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
3 cups BPA-free canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
¼ cup of chopped cilantro and chopped mint
1/3 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese

In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.

In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, onion, tomatoes, red pepper, cilantro, mint, and feta cheese. 
          
Pour lemon juice dressing over chickpea mixture and toss to combine.  Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment