Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Weight Watcher's Tabbouleh

I never tried tabbouleh when I worked at the vegetarian cafe in college.  I don't know why, it was a really popular item on the menu.  I found this version when I was poking around one of my cookbooks.  I've enjoyed eating it this summer because it's filling without making me feel gross in the summer heat.

Tabbouleh:
(Weight Watchers- 2 points per serving)

1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup Bulgur
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3 scallions (green parts only), sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
In a medium saucepan, bring the lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.  Stir in the bulgur, oil, salt, and pepper.  Remove from hear; cover and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, parsley, onion, scallions, and garlic.  Add the bulgur; toss to combine.   Refrigerate, covered for at least 3 hours.

I love this dish because it's easy to make and it will keep a couple of days in an air tight container.  It's perfect for Labor Day picnics too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment