Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Toffee Butterscotch Cookies

I'm on vacation but Mr. T is working this week.  I love being able to sit around and watch trashy tv (Real Housewives of Everything!!!) but I just can't do it all day.  I get anxious and there are only so many chores that I'm going to do on vacation.

This leads to me making a mess in the kitchen and experimenting.  I found a recipe in my Martha Stewart Baking Handbook for a White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookie and decided to work with it since chemistry isn't really my thing.














Toffee Butterscotch Cookies:
(adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe)

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup toffee bits (chocolate covered or plain)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.  In the bowl of a stand mixer mix the butter, shortening, and brown sugar until it's a light color, around 2-3 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix, scraping down the sides as needed.

Once the wet ingredients are mixed slowly add the flour mixture.  Once the flour is incorporated add the butterscotch chips and toffee bits and fold in with a spoon or spatula.

Spoon the batter on the cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment