Monday, March 26, 2012

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

The Mexican restaurant we frequent has a stuffed poblano pepper dish that is on special most of the time.  It's Mr. T's favorite and he orders it almost every time we go.  I decided to try making a vegetarian version at home for "Meatless Monday" (or Meatless Friday for Lent) and this is what I came up with.

I have to say, I impressed myself.  These were really good.  Even if you aren't the biggest fan of stuffed peppers the filling would be great alone or inside of a burrito.


















Stuffed Poblano Peppers:

2 poblano peppers
1 small package of yellow rice, prepared per the package directions
1 can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheese (I used a mexican blend)
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste

Set oven to 375.  Take the peppers; cut off the tops and remove the seeds and membrane inside.  Set aside. 


















In a small bowl mix together the rice, beans, cheese, and greek yogurt.  Trim the tops of the peppers, chop them up, and add them to the bowl too.  Add the spices and mix everything together.  Stuff the rice and bean mixture into the peppers and bake for 15-20 minutes or until everything is warm and the pepper has started to soften.  Just make sure it doesn't get soggy.

1 comment:

  1. I have always made my stuffed peppers in the crock pot! What a quick and easy way to do this! Go you!

    ReplyDelete