Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Roasted Turkey Breast

I made my first turkey for Easter dinner this year.  I feel like I have crossed into adulthood.  I used a counter top roasting oven (thank you to my boss for letting me borrow it) and pretty much just winged it.  That being said, I cooked my turkey for too long.  The flavor was really good so I'm going to post this anyway.  I would recommend buying a meat thermometer, something I haven't bought yet.  One day I'll get tired of eating over cooked meat... but I'm rambling.


















Roasted Turkey Breast:

1 bone-in turkey breast, thawed
2 lemons, cut into wedges
2 limes, cut into wedges
3 oranges, cut into wedges
4 stalks celery
4 whole carrots
2 onions, quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
Olive oil

Heat your oven or roaster to 350 degrees.

Season the turkey on all sides (including the under cavity) with the garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt.  Strip the leaves off of one of the sprigs of rosemary and thyme and sprinkle on the turkey.

In the bottom of the roaster lay the celery, onions, and carrots down.  You're trying to create a make shift roasting rack.  Place the cut citrus fruit on top of the celery, onions, and carrots.  Place the seasoned turkey on top of the fruit and veggies.  I took one of the orange slices and squeezed the juice all over the top of the bird.


















Place the garlic cloves on and around the bird and drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil on the top of the bird.

















Cover and cook until the internal temperature of the bird is 165 degrees.  There will be some carryover cooking after the bird is finished so don't let it cook forever.  (Do as I say, not as I do)

When the turkey is finished let it rest for a few minutes and carve.

Here is a good website to look at if you happen to have any questions about cooking temperatures of your turkey.  USDA Factsheets-Let's Talk Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment