Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fig Jam

I spent my Labor Day weekend laboring away in the kitchen making jam.   Figs have been on sale recently and I decided to take advantage of the good deal.  Plus, I don't really do much with figs so I decided it was time to fix that.

I think that this jam is going to be amazing when Christmas comes around.  I want to get some puff pastry, a wheel of brie, and pour a bunch of this jam on top before I bake it off.  It's going to be delicious!  (Now I just need to go to a party)














Fig Jam:

4 cups chopped figs (about 27 medium)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 3-oz pouch Ball® Liquid Fruit Pectin
6 cups sugar
8 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside. Prepare figs by
trimming stems and finely chopping them.

Combine prepared figs with lemon juice, water, and sugar in a 6- or
8-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be
stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
Add pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouch. Continue
hard boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam
if necessary

Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim.
Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.

Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for
altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid
should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment