Friday, June 4, 2010

Chili Con Queso

This came from one of the women I work with.  Thanks Marilyn!!

Chili Con Queso:
1 Spanish onion, chopped
2 small cans of diced green chilies
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1-2 diced jalapenos
American cheese, cut up into small cubes  (I used 2 small bricks)
2 cups of cheddar cheese
1/4 half-n-half

In a large pot heat up 2 tablespoons of bacon fat or vegetable oil.  Sauté onions. 




Add chilies, tomatoes, and jalapenos and stir.  Do not drain the chilis or tomatoes.















When that is hot start adding cheese a little at a time.  Keep stirring and adding more cheese.  Add half-n-half.















Stir until all of the cheese is melted and everything is combined.














I used Kraft American Cheese.  I found it in the same section of the store as Velveeta.  I tried to find a link to it but Kraft does not have it on their website anymore.  My coworker told me that she gets American cheese from our local wholesale store.  I also added cheddar to mine because I needed something to cut the richness from the american cheese.  I found that a little bit of half-n-half helped too.

This is really awesome and easy to make dip.  Make it the day before and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator so the chilies have time to heat up the cheese.  YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment