Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Steamed Green Beans

I love green beans.  They are my favorite vegetables and I love them almost anyway.  When I was a kid my mom would blanch them and serve them with ranch.  Kids love anything dipped in ranch.

Now that I'm older I can appreciate them in other ways.  The other night we had steamed green beans.  They were excellent.
 
Since we're in the middle of the holiday season I thought that this would be an great idea for anyone looking for a last minute side.  It takes almost no time.

Steamed Green Beans:
(My Mom)

1 bag of french green beans, ends snapped
1/2 cup of chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you want a vegan version)
2-3 slices of ham, chopped (again, leave out if you want this to be vegan/vegetarian)
salt and pepper












Pour the broth into a skillet and add the ham (if using).  Add the green beans and cover.












Let the beans steam for 5-10 minutes or until tender and bright green.  Season with salt and pepper.  Drain from the liquid and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment