Monday, August 27, 2012

Fall Spiced Doughnuts

I had a craving on Sunday but I had already been to the grocery store and I wasn't about to leave the house again.  I wanted doughnuts and I wanted them bad.  I went on a googling frenzy until I could find a recipe that was made up of items I already had in the house and was baked.

I came across this recipe for fluffy cake doughnuts. I added some more spices to the recipe, including pumpkin pie spice, which is one of my favorites. It gave me a hope that fall is right around the corner.

These don't get the crispy edges that fried cake doughnuts have but they are dang good, and much better for you than the fried versions.



















Fall Spiced Doughnuts:
(adapted from allrecipes)

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
A dash of ground ginger
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon shortening
    
Glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon caramel syrup or ice cream topping

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a doughnut pan, I used Pam.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in milk, eggs, vanilla, and shortening. Beat together until well blended.

Fill each doughnut cup approximately 3/4 full. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until doughnuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.



















To make the glaze mix everything together.  If the glaze is too runny add more sugar, too thick add more water.   I made this version a little on the thin side.



No comments:

Post a Comment