Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Smokehouse Downtown

We had our monthly dinner date the other night.  We've been on a roll with trying some new places and this month was no exception.  We decided to try out Smokehouse Downtown, a new-ish BBQ restaurant in an old club downtown.

I was going to take a picture of the building... but then I didn't.  I took a special of the specials board instead. 























I took my beverage order from the board and went with the Smokehouse Punch.  Mr. T got a beer from a local brewery, Swamp Head.























While we were waiting on our friends to get there our waiter gave us a little more information about the restaurant.  The are currently buying their produce from a local farm but have a green house on the roof of the restaurant.  The restaurant was hoping to be using their own tomatoes in about a month, which is awesome.

On to the food!  We ordered two appetizers, the quesadillas and the smoked pork and collard green spring rolls.  Both were really great and something different.
























For my main meal I went with the beef brisket.  I decided it was a good idea to go with a standard so I could compare it to other places.  I chose the sweet potato fries and Gouda cheese grits.  The rest of our table went with ribs, pulled pork, and smoked chicken with sides that included smoked corn, collard greens, and white cheddar mac and cheese.


















I went with the seasonal Blackberry BBQ sauce.  It was great.  The grits weren't the creamy grits that I usually make and Mr. T wasn't a fan, but I loved them.  The greens had a decent amount of vinegar in them which wasn't everyone's favorite but I think we're in the minority of the vinegar/greens group.

The service was beyond fantastic.  Our waiter took the time to really go into details about the restaurant, their farm to table view, and even took us on a tour to see their 14-foot smoker and rooftop greenhouse. 

If you're in Gainesville try this place out.  Great food, great drinks, and better service.

No comments:

Post a Comment