Monday, April 2, 2012

Two-Bean Burritos

I've been trying to think of new ideas for Meatless Monday.  I don't want to end up eating a bunch of random sides every week (which would probably be good too) so I've been trying to come up with some tasty vegetarian versions of meals my household loves.

Here is my version of bean burritos.  I thought they were really filling and delicious.  Tonight we ate them with some yellow rice but they would also be fantastic with a salad.



















Two-Bean Burritos:

1 can reduced sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can reduced sodium black beans, drained of half the liquid
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
2 carrots, cubed
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning
1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper

In a small bowl mash the pinto beans with a potato masher.

In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.  Add the carrots and let cook for a minute.  Add the onion and bell pepper.  Let cook for an additional minute.  Add the black and pinto beans and mix everything together.  Add the seasonings and mix to combine.

















Let everything heat up and fill your choice of burrito or taco shells.  I added shredded cheese, greek yogurt, lettuce, and salsa to my burritos tonight.  Mr. T added hot sauce to his, because that's how he rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment