Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Blue Gill

Mr. T and I have a monthly dinner date with some of our friends.  This month we tried a new place in town called Blue Gill.  They're located in next to a parking garage outside of the hospital gym.

I think this place is classified as "Southern Inspired".  The appetizers include boiled peanuts, pimento cheese, and fried green tomatoes.

We started off with two appetizers.  Mr. T ordered the boiled peanuts and our friends ordered the biscuits with sausage gravy.  Both were fantastic.  The gravy had plenty of pepper in it and the biscuits were still nice and crunchy around the edges.














We also ordered some beverages.  One of our friends got a nice glass of white wine.  The rest of us were a little less classy and went with a "Gin and Juice" and "Trailer Park Punch".  They were served in mason jars with tiny umbrellas and cherries.  (Which is what makes a good beverage if you ask me)






















Then it was time for the main meal.  I got the "Blue Gill Burger".  It was a beef patty with bacon, smoked pork, and melted pimento cheese.  It was a very rich and smoky burger due to the smoked pork and bacon.  It was really good.  It was served with the choice of a house salad with their house vinaigrette or house made chips.  I went went the salad.














Mr. T got the pork belly.  I didn't get a picture of it, sorry.  It was a good sized piece of pork and it wasn't over cooked. It was served with a side of butter beans which were very creamy and had bits of bacon throughout.

Our friends split an order of "Ham Hock Mac & Cheese".  It was a basic dish that reminded me of something my mom made when I was a kid.  I'm pretty sure it was made with white cheddar cheese and had big pieces of ham in it.  Their dish was served with some random roasted veggies (I picked out some squash, brussels sprouts, and green beans).

One the way out I decided that we needed to get one of their "Fried Pies" to go.  Our choices that night were the cherry or the chocolate.  I went with the cherry.  It was awesome... and totally healthy.















The verdict: We'd go back.  It's a cool venue, the staff was really great, and the food was hot and tasty (except the salad... it was cold... as it should be)  It's not going to become an everyday place for us but it is fantastic for date nights or dinner with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment