Friday, October 14, 2011

EPCOT 2011 Food and Wine Festival

It's that time again world.  Time for the EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival!  It's my favorite time of the year (Mr. T loves it too, mainly for the booze).  We decided to run down to Orlando on a whim to go to the festival and celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary.



















First off, it was hot down there!  I don't get it, our part of Florida was normal but once we hit Orlando the sun moved closer to the earth or something.  Whatever.  I just wasn't prepared and we didn't go as hard core as we could have.  We still had a lot of fun.  Here's what we did, enjoyed, and want to go back to do next time.

The thing I thought was the coolest was the Ocean Spray cranberry bog in the middle of the festival.  I have a small obsession with cranberries and this was just great for me.  It didn't hurt that they were giving away packets of Craisins.  I didn't talk to the cranberry people but they were talking to everyone and answering all types of questions.


















On our tour around the world we stopped at England (for booze), Ireland, Japan, Germany, and Mexico.  First up, Ireland.

Mr. T got a snack at the Ireland pavilion.  He got a glass of honey mead and the Fisherman's pie.  It was a mashed potato topped pot pie filled with lobster and scallops.  It was really good and homey tasting.  The honey mead was different.  It was a sweet drink.  I don't really know what mead should taste like so I can't tell you if it's good or not.  It's one of those things that Mr. T has always wanted to try so he did.


 
















Japan was next.  We each got something this go around.  Mr. T got the Spicy Tuna Roll and I got the Tuna and Salmon Sensation.  It might have been a little too hot to eat a party cup full of raw tuna and salmon but boy was it good.  It was insanely simple and just went to prove that sometimes simple is best.  Tuna, salmon, avocado, and soy sauce... that was it.  The spicy roll was really good too.  Again, it was simple but full of good ingredients and it made all the difference.







































Next up, Germany.  We stop at this pavilion every year.  Mr. T always gets the sausage link inside of a pretzel roll.  I always get the apple strudel with caramel and vanilla sauce.  It's what we do.















We decided to go to a sit down restaurant for supper instead of grazing.  We decided on the San Angel Inn inside of the Mexico Pavilion.  I've had some pretty horrible meals at Disney restaurants, mainly Magic Kingdom, but still.  I was really impressed with our meal.  The margaritas were fantastic (Mr. T got the jalapeno and I got the blood orange) and my steak was perfect.  I have to say, the thing I was most blown away with was that when the staff found out it was our anniversary they brought us out a little dessert treat, on the house, to celebrate.  I know it was something small but the entire experience was fantastic.  We will be back.

The festival is going on until November 13th.  If you like food or drinks check it out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! This was one of our favorite times of year at Epcot, and we miss it. You are right about it being so hot down there. That part, we don't miss. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I can't believe you guys have been married 3 years! Boy how time flies!

    ReplyDelete