Friday, October 14, 2011

Sautéed Fish Sticks

I don't usually talk about the failures I have in the kitchen.  I don't know why, I guess it's because I don't know who would want to read about it.  I wasn't going to blog this but a couple of my friends convinced me to go ahead and share this recipe and share what went wrong with it in my eyes.
















Sauteed Fish Sticks:
(Clean Eating Magazine)


Ingredients:
1 slice whole-grain bread
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 egg
3/4 lb boneless, skinless tilapia fillet, rinsed with cold water and patted dry

Directions:
In a food processor, process bread into crumbs. Set aside.

Crack egg into a medium bowl. Chop tilapia as finely as possible and add to egg. Add 1/4 cup bread crumbs to tilapia mixture, then use hands to thoroughly combine.

Divide fish mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a rectangular stick about 2 1/2 inches long. Pour another 1/4 cup bread crumbs into a large or flat-bottomed soup bowl. Dredge each stick in bread crumbs, pressing lightly to coat both sides.

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet for 1 minute on medium. Add fish sticks to pan and cook, covered, for 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.














Use heatproof tongs to gently flip sticks over and cook for another 3 minutes or until both sides are golden brown.

Here were my issues:
1.  My pan got WAY too hot and everything burned.  Awesome.
2.  The texture was off.  I don't know if it's because I didn't chop my fish up enough or what.
3.  The fish were kind of bland.  It's an easy fix but I still wanted to throw it out there.

I think that these could be really good and I think that kids would love this.  I'm not sure that I'm going to try to make them again but here the recipe is so that you can be your own judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment